You’ll probably notice right from the start of this episode that I’m more excited in this episode than in ANY of the previous ones. Why?
Because of an exciting announcement (at least it was exciting to me) and I get to talk about a topic that I’m very passionate about.
Here are the Announcements:
- Learning with Leslie is now in the iTunes Podcast directory. I was a little concerned after reading around online about how long it would take. I submitted it on Sunday and it is there today (Wednesday). 3 days isn’t that bad. So go ahead and Subscribe in iTunes, leave a review and rate the podcast. That will help others learn about it. You can easily access the page by going to LeslieOnItunes.com, and then viewing it in iTunes to leave a review.
- Every episode I’ve recorded so far has been downloaded by hundreds of people from 53 different countries, even though it wasn’t submitted to the directory, which is pretty exciting.
Then, I answer two questions that were left by John from AskJohnEnglish.com. His questions were:
- How should he go about outsourcing the development of a WordPress theme for his site?
- How can I legally post videos of my classes on my Biology Website?
Then I get into the meat of the episode, where I talk about Social Media by dealing with the concepts written about in Gary Vaynerchuk’s 2 books: Crush it and The Thank You Economy. With Google making Algorithm changes every so often that can impact your online business significantly (positive or negative), it’s important to build a business that will last regardless of what they decide to do.
To summarize what I deal with, here are the main points I deal with which I draw from the two books:
- In this book, Gary tells his story and talks in detail about how he grew Wine Library TV into a MASSIVE online presence in the Wine Community.
- I talk about creating a brand and growing your online business
- Put great content out there and then go into the internet trenches.
- I talk about how to provide Value and build a business that will last
It’s never a bad time to start a business unless you’re starting a mediocre business. – Gary Vaynerchuk
The Thank You Economy
- If you want to build a business in today’s “Thank You Economy”, you have to CARE about your customers (or website visitors) and employees.
- Build a strong sense of community around your brand
- Allow that community to help shape your business (but not control it)
- Use Social media to spread your message and grow your business
Those are the bullet points, but in the podcast, I go through the “how to’s”. Check it out, and let me know what you think. Leave me a comment and call the hotline at (888) 835 – 2414
Resources mentioned in this Episode
- Crush it
- The Thank You Economy
- Audible (get the audiobook version for Free)
- Woothemes (specifically the Canvas Theme)
- Thesis Theme